It was Kishore Kumar’s death anniversary over the weekend, and [tag]Radio Farishta[/tag] on [tag]World Space[/tag] radio had a lovely tribute to his music.
It kind of got me thinking of my favourite [tag]Kishore Kumar[/tag] solo’s over the decades of [tag]Hindi Film Music[/tag]. So hear they are in alphabetical order (more or less)
- Choti Si Yeh Duniya Pehchane Raste – Film Rangoli, Music Shankar Jai Kishen, Lyrics Shailendra. I really haven’t seen this film, but just love the song.
- Ek Ladki Bhigi Bhagi Si – Film Chalti Ka Naam Gadi – Music S.D.Burman, Lyrics Majrooh Sultanpuri. KK singing for himself and a very wet Madhubala
- Geet Gata Hoon Mein – Film Lal Pathar – Music Shankar Jai Kishen, Dev Kohli. Featured on Vinod Mehra mangling a piano, with Rakhee, Raaj Kumar and a glowering Hema Malini.
- Jeevan Ke Safar Mein Rahi – Film : Munimji, Music : S.D.Burman, Lyrics: Sahir Ludhianvi. A young Dev Anand – for the life of me I cannot remember the heroine of this film and google doesn’t really help – was it Ameeta or Nalini Jaywant.? I also prefer to the other ‘road’ song – Hum Hai Rahi Pyaar Ke, Humse Kuch na Boliye from Nau Do Gyarah.
- Ina Mina Dika – Film Aasha – Music: C.Ramchander, Lyrics: Rajendra Kishen. KK bringing rock & roll to India.
- Kissi Baat Par Mein Kissi Se Khafan Hoon – Film Bemisaal – Music – R.D.Burman, Lyrics : Anand Bakshi, and KK voicing for AB in a blue mood.
- Koi Hota Jisko Apna, Hum Apna Kehdete Yaron – Film Mere Apne . Music Salil Choudhary, Lyrics Gulzar. I haven’t seen this film but love the music totally.
- Kuch toh Log Kahenge – Film Amar Prem – Music R.D.Burman, Lyrics : Gulzar. And a world weary Rajesh Khanna singing to Sharmila Tagore. It is actually a toss up between this and the other KK solo in this film – Chingari Koi Badke
- Mana Janab Ne Pukara Nahin – Film Paying Guest – Music S.D.Burman, Lyrics : Majrooh Sultanpuri. KK voicing for Dev Anand. The other great solo in this film is Haye Haye Haye Yeh Nigaahen
- Mere Sapnon Ki Rani Kab Ayegi Tu – Film Aradhna – Music S.D.Burman, Lyrics Anand Bakshi and a song featured on Rajesh Khanna that not only catapulted him to super stardom, but it taught a whole generation of Indians how to fall in love. I prefer it to the other great KK solo in this film Roop tere Matana
- Meri Bhigi Bhigi Si —Film Anamika – Music R.D.Burman. Lyrics Majrooh Sultanpuri. Song featured on a dapper looking Sanjeev Kumar singing to a guilty as hell Jaya Bhaduri.
- Rote Huve Aate Hai Sab, Hasta Huva Jo Jaayega – Film Muqadar Ka Sikandar – Music : Kalyanji Anandji, Lyrics, Anjan. KK redefining Machismo for a new generation. The song is featured on Amitabh Bachan driving a bike through the streets of Mumbai.
- Who Shyam Kuch Ajeeb Thi – Film Khamoshi – Music Hemant Kumar, Lyrics Gulazar. And Melancholy Magic.
- Yeh Joh Mohabbat Hai – Film Kati Patang – Music S.D.Burman, Lyrics : Anand Bakshi. KK voices for Rajesh Khanna. All I can remember of this song is a fully suited Rajesh Khanna sitting in the rain cross legged singing part of this song (or was it some other film?) The other two great KK solos in this film are Pyar Deewana Hota Hai Mastana Hota Hai, and Yeh Shyaam Mataani
- Zindagi Ke Safar Mein – Film Aap Ki Kasam – Music R.D. Burman, Lyrics Gulzar. Raga Shivaranjani and Kishore divine on the vocals. The song is a background number that is played on a Rajesh Khanna being miserable.
Which are yours ?