Lazy blogging. Yesterday, was Kishore Da’s birthday. and, i thought i will re-cycle last year’s post on classical Kishore- (origianl post August 16th 2008)
Kishore Kumar was a genius. And, it was his birthday
about 10 days ago (4th August) yesterday . I had wanted to do a little blog piece on my favourites sung by him. But, there were so many of them, and it was so difficult to make a choice that I went into some sort of a analysis paralysis. And then, about 5 days ago it struck me. Classical Kishore. We all know about the rock & Roll Kishore (hum to mohobbat karega), and the playful Kishore (eena meena dika) and the Romantic Kishore (Phoolonke rang se) – but somehow – despite a solid body of work based on Classical Ragas – we consider him to be a singer purely of fun and contemporary work…But, KK had a fair body of work that was classical.
So here goes my favourite Kishore numbers based on Classical Ragas – again in no particular order of preference ( i love them all) …
1) Aap Ke Anurodh Pe – Kishore’s voice glides effortlessly through the scales. The composition is in Raga Yaman . The film is Anurodh – starring Rajesh Khanna. I have faint memories of the film and all I can remember is two good songs and terribly boring inbetweens ! Music is by Laxmikant Pyarelal, and lyrics by Anand Bakshi
Other great film songs in this Raga include -Aansoo Bhari Hai (Parvarish);Na Jaao Saayiaan (Sahib, Bibi aur Ghulam)
2) Pagh Ghungroo Bandh – Kishore Kumar having fun singing for Amitabh Bachchan in Namak Halal. Music is by Bappi Da and lyrics by Anjaan. The Raga is Darbari Kanara. The film was a fun outing about missing identity, treasures, duty, loyalty and a incredible rain dance by Amitabh and Smita Patil.
3) Mere Naina Sawan Bhadon – Kishore Kumar in a wistful mood singing this compositon in Raga Shivranjani. The song has another version by Lata Mangeshkar, but I always preferred this variation. Music is by R.D.Burman and lyrics by . The film is Mehbooba starring Rajesh Khanna & Hema Malini.
Other famous Hindi Film songs in the same Raga are Dil Jalta Hai by Mukesh from Pehli Nazar, O Duniya Ke Rakhwaale by Rafi for Baiju Bawra
4) Khilte Hai Gul Dil Yahaan – based on Raga Bhimalpaasi, this song is also sung separately by Lata Mangeshkar, but once again I prefer the Kishore version of it. Music is by S.D.Burman, lyrics by Neeraj. The film is about twins – one good and one evil (played by Rakhee) who both fall for Shashi Kapoor. The film is a good romantic thriller with a great sound track.
Check out the fabulous Naino Me Badra Chhaye from Mera Saaya – its in the same Raga.
5) Koi Humdum Na Raha – Film is Jhumroo. I haven’t seen the film, but i kind of like the song. The composition is based on Raga Jhinjhinoti.
other famous songs in this raga are Ja Ja Re Ja Balamwa from the film Basant Bahar sung by Lata and Kya Se Kya Ho Gaya from Guide sung by Rafi.
6) Tere Mere Milan ki Yeh Raina – a duet in Raga Khamaj sung by Kishore and Lata. The story is about two talented people who marry in haste, only to find that the husband’s ego (abhimaan) at her being more acclaimed leading to a fissure in the relationship. Againa a sound track with songs like Meet na Mila re Manka, Teri bindiyaa, Nadiyaan Kinare.
Another great Kishore song in this Raga is from Amar Prem – the fabulous Kuch to Log Kahenge
Other famous songs in this Raga are O Sajna by Lata from Parakh, Aise to na Dekho by Rafi from Teen Deviyaan.
7) Payal Wali Dekhna – Raga Maru Bihaag. Film Ek Raaz.He sings for himself on screen. I haven’t seent this film either.
Other famous songs based on this Raga are Meethe Bol Bol by Lata and Bhupinder in Kinara and the next song which is also by Kishore Kumar
8) Zindagi ke Safar Mein Bichar Jaaate Hai – film is Aap ki Kasaam. Starring Rajesh Khanna, Mumtaz and Sanjeev Kumar. A film about love, envy, jealousy and break down. A fabulous sond track. Other gems in this film include Jai Jai Shiv Shankar, Aap Ki Kasam
9) Jeevan Se Bhari – A whimsical Kishore in this great song from the film Safar. The film stars Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore. For its times it was a seriously grown up love story. The Raga is Rageshwari.
Other famous songs based on this raga are Nain So Nain Nahi Milao, and Na Jiya Lage Na from Anand.
10) Woh Shyaam Kuch Ajeeb Thi – The film is Khamoshi – starring Rajesh Khanna, Waheeda Rehman and Dharmendra. The story is of a nurse in a psychiatrist ward and her relationship with her charges. Somehow I think that they made better films in those days than they do now. And a great sound track. One of my all time favourites. The Raga is Yaman.
11) Meri Bhigi Bhigi Si – Kishore sings this great composition based on the Raga Kirvani.The film is Anaamika staaring Sanjeev Kumar and Jaya Bhaduri.
Music is by R.D.Burman lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri
Other great Kishore Kumar classical hits are Karvatein Badalte Rahe (Aap Ki Kasaam) in Raga Pahadi; Kanchi re Kanchi (Hare Rama Hare Krishna) in the same Raga; Kaise kahe Hum Pyaar ne Humkse, Kya Kya Khel Rachaye (Sharmilee) in Raga Tilang; Choo kar mere man Ko (Yaarana) – Raga yaman; Is Mod se Jaate Hai (Aandhi) – Raga Yaman.
if i have got any of the ragas wrong (quite likely) do let me know !